MEETING OF CONSULTATION OF MINISTERS OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
THIRTIETH MEETING OF CONSULTATION
OF MINISTERS OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
December 3, 2019
THE CRISIS IN THE BOLIVARIAN REPUBLIC OF VENEZUELA
AND ITS DESTABILIZING EFFECTS ON THE HEMISPHERE /
(Adopted at the plenary session held on December 3, 2019)
THE THIRTIETH MEETING OF CONSULTATION OF MINISTERS OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, ACTING AS THE ORGAN OF CONSULTATION IN APPLICATION OF THE INTER-AMERICAN TREATY OF RECIPROCAL ASSISTANCE (TIAR),
RECALLING the provisions contained in the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance (TIAR) and in resolutions CP/RES. 1137 (2245/19) and RC.30/RES. 1/19 rev. 1 corr. 1;
REITERATING that the political, economic, and social crisis in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela poses a threat to the maintenance of the peace and security of the Hemisphere, within the terms of Article 6 of the TIAR;
BEARING IN MIND the results achieved by the TIAR operational network at its meetings on October 29, 2019, in Washington, D.C., and at the virtual meeting of November 26, 2019; and
EXPRESSING its concern at the signs of involvement of people linked to the Nicolás Maduro regime in violent incidents in the context of legitimate popular demonstrations in a number of the region’s countries,
1. To activate the cooperation mechanisms, due diligence measures, and other required procedures, in accordance with national law and existing cooperation mechanisms in financial intelligence matters, with a view to carrying out the mandate contained in paragraphs 1 and 2 of resolution RC.30/RES. 1/19 rev. 1 corr. 1 of September 23, 2019, on the basis of the appended initial list of persons associated with the regime of Nicolas Maduro, consolidated by the Operational network, and the supplementary data identifying them and detailing facts.
2. To instruct the competent authorities to apply, in accordance with applicable national laws and international obligations, measures restricting entry and transit in the territories of the States Parties to the TIAR of persons included in the Consolidated List referred to in paragraph 1 hereof.
3. To request the TIAR Operational Network to define, in accordance with national law, the parameters and conditions for future inclusions and possible removals of persons and entities from the Consolidated List, as well as the factual aspects of security and confidentiality in the management of information, and to instruct the competent authorities to continue investigating with the purpose of preparing lists of persons susceptible to being designated in accordance with the respective national laws and based on paragraphs 1 and 2 of resolution RC.30/RES. 1/19 rev. 1 corr. 1 adopted on September 23, 2019.
4. To renew the instruction to the permanent representatives to the Organization of American States of the States Parties to the TIAR to continue to monitor the situation in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and evaluate possible additional recommendations, as envisaged in Article 8 of the TIAR, with a view to their presentation to the Organ of Consultation of Ministers of Foreign Affairs at its next meeting.
5. To request the TIAR operational network to evaluate the technical feasibility of implementing mechanisms for information exchange, good practices in matters of cooperation and sanctioning procedures with technical authorities of States that are not parties to the TIAR and which have adopted sanctions against the Maduro regime and his circle, with a view to presenting a proposal to the Organ of Consultation.
6. To reject the recent measures adopted by the Financial Intelligence Unit of the regime of Nicolas Maduro against Interim President Juan Guaidó, which are in total contradiction to the principles of objectivity and independence of financial intelligence units.
7. To keep open the Thirtieth Meeting of Consultation of Ministers of Foreign Affairs, acting as the Organ of Consultation of the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance (TIAR), and to convene its next session in the first quarter of 2020.
8. To request the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States to transmit the content of this resolution to the United Nations Security Council.